View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 08:18 PM
88Black560SL

560SL Trans would not shift, suddenly OK ??

This last weekend I did a 30K service on my 1988 560SL. Sunday I changed the trans fluid and filter and road tested the car everything was fine. Monday I completed the service including removing and lubricating the throttle linkages and I did not road test the car. Tuesday morning today I went to drive the car to work and it would not shift out of second. I could manualy shift between D and 1st (B) and it would go down to first gear but in 3 or 4th (D) it would never upshift past 2nd gear.

When I got home I had assumed that it must have been something with the throttle linkages so I checked them found nothing wrong, put the air cleaner back on, went for a test drive and everything worked beautiful. WTF?????

The only thing I had been concernad about up untill now with the transmission was that it did not kick down with full pedal application about 10 or 20% of the time, and I meant to start trouble shooting that shortly. But this evening everything including kick down worked perfectly 100% of the time.

WTF over

John Roncallo