View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM

W124 E320 Wagon rear shock conversion

Hi all, just picked up my new to me 1994 E320 wagon last night and I知 ready to commence the rehabilitation of another fine German car. (I like the sound of rehabilitation better than repair) I just love the room in the wagon but just hope my brain will adapt to the automatic transmission soon. I feel so silly pushing on the floorboard with my left leg as I reach for the gear selector. =)

After reading through the posts, I have not seen any rear suspension conversions on W124 wagons to conventional rear shocks. Has this been done or at least investigated?

I realize that many wagon owners may enjoy the system and I can certainly appreciate that. I知 sure it痴 a great system and do not want anyone to get the idea that I知 advocating otherwise.

I will post my trials and tribulations in case anyone else should ever want to look into converting their W124 wagons. Additionally I welcome all assistance/input form those who are willing.

I hope to locate a sedan locally or enlist the services of someone on the forum who has access to one so that I can get some pictures and measurements.

From initial observations of a few pictures I found on the web of the self-leveling and the conventional sedan shocks, I know that both top and bottom mountings are different.

To mount the bottom, it looks like I will need to either change out the trailing arms (and more as needed) or fabricate a bracket. Initially I feel going with the bracket may prove to be a simpler solution so that痴 where I will begin. I値l take some measurements and pictures this weekend and see what ideas come to surface on bracket possibilities.

For the top mount, I will need to look at a sedan/coupe or cab to see how the mounting differs.

If anyone has a sedan/coupe or cab and you live in or near the Columbia SC area and would be willing to let me take a peak at your rear damper area, please let me know!

This weekend I値l be giving my newly acquired E320 wagon (aka the Queen Family Truckster) a full detail and will not be back in front of a PC again until Monday.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Steve
Columbia, SC