View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 AM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.E.Haiges View Post
240Dog,

Other electrilcal consumers in the car draw current proportional to their resistance up to the capacity of the alternator in amperes. Thus an alternator is rated by the amount of current in amperes it can generate I.E. a 55 amp alternator.
Okay, then it sounds like what I've got is arcing occurring somewhere proportionate to engine speed or alternator output. Like something is pigging the amps or resistances are all screwed up?

Another scheme of mine to help find the messed up circuit is to pull the fuses individually to see which branch of the tree it might be. Otherwise all the electric appliances are operable, well except the electric antenna.

Looks like really sloppy work had been done with an exacto knife on the wiring harnesses under there. Have also found dead-end leads under the carpeting and improvised junk in the console around the forward/rear radio speaker dial. Meanwhile none of the service records indicate that any professional radio installer has worked on the car.

Quote:
..get rid of the extra wiring and reconfigure as close to normal as you can...
Good advice, thats what I'll be tryin to do. Seem to be having a little success already as the alt light has quieted down a bit.