View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 AM

According to the local M.B. dealer and most tech guys I know the switching of the rear self levelling suspension to the standard set fitted to the sedan is IMPOSSIBLE!*

The dealer's shop manager and the some good independent techs have explained to me in detail how the switch will not work. The problem is that they did many years ago and I vaguely remember the exact technical reasons.

Basically:

-> MOST suspension components from the sedan and the wagon are different due to the lower wheel well height fitted to the wagon to provide a bigger cargo area.

-> The shock absorbers are completely different in terms of height, diameter, fixing points and travel.

-> Cutting off the hydraulic lines is not that simple, it will involve messing with the power steering among other things.

-> As far as I understand, the scenario is this: switching from self levelling to standard on a W124 sedan is possible with some expensive parts (the sedan could be optionally fitted with the rear self levelling suspension on most world markets at extra cost). In case of the wagon: simply just not possible.

-> To completely redesign your rear suspension setup with new parts, springs and absorbers would be far more expensive than to pay for spheres, schocks and hydraulic oil motors for the rest of your wagon's life.

* (In terms of cost and engineering feasibility).
E 320 T, 1995 [Sadly sold ]