Thread: I want a Benz!
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2001, 09:37 AM
LarryBible

Melanie,

Both my teenagers started out in a 123 non turbo. The lack of speed is an advantage for a teenagers car.

I have seen many threads like this one which start a number of debates. These debates turn into turbo/nonturbo, 240D/300D, automatic climate control/non automatic climate control, electric windows/power windows.

Don't make the mistake of buying a fifteen year old car based on any of these issues or on color. Make the decision based on CONDITION!!!!!!!!!!

I went through this in early 2000 in trying to find a car for my daughter, she wanted a certain color, and an automatic, etc. I ended up buying her a car that was misrepresented by the seller. He looked straight in my eye and LIED to me about oil consumption.

As a result, I paid a premium price for the car and got an oil drinker. I have since done a valve job and bored the engine and put in new pistons. The car mechanically is like new now and cosmetically is probably about an eight. I have enough money in the car now that I could have bought her a more expensive car, and that's considering that I did all the work myself.

My point is that any 123 car can be acceptable, maybe with the exception of a 240D automatic. What you want is a car in good condition. The Dallas Morning News typically has several good ones for sale, but it is cyclic. Right now there are only two in there.

I hope this rambling is helpful, go for condition, not gadgets or color.

Have a great day,