Thread: Amg 300sd
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobybul View Post
As far as I know, MB never had AMG diesels. Read Frank Barret's book. AMG were mods done to cars to boost their performance - not just change their appearance. Mods done on engine to boost hp, suspension and other parts to help with performance.

AMG was not part of MB back in the 80's, they were an aftermarket tuner. Like Renntech, Brabus, and Kleeman are today. AMG would do whatever the customer wanted to whatever car they brought to them. At a very steep price of course, $$$$$$$. I would not be surprised if a 300SD was done up by AMG at some point, but I am sure it was not common. Fuel was cheap and people wanting performance, or a fast looking car at least were not buying SD's. They were buying 300 hp 500SEL's and having AMG drop in quad cam 6L V8's.

Note most really nice AMG'd W126's seem to be coming out of Japan. A lot of these cars cost almost $200K, 1980's dollars and as a result comand steep premiums today. But if you like the W126 an AMG'd version is just about the ultimate expression of this vehical, super fast, extremly exclusive, with stunning looks.

2007 Tiara 3200