View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Essential tools for the economical DIYer: please help!

I am newbie DIYer looking forward to perform some needed work (basically, all maintenance tasks in the book) on my '79 240D. Over the last few days I've done engine oil, transmission and differential fluid change... they were a breeze, really, requiring just a couple of tools: a ratchet, a 13mm socket, a 14mm hex tip socket, a pair of home-made wooden ramps.

I am looking to do routine maintenance things such as brakes, fuel filters, valve and the other required adjustments, and so forth. What are the indispensable tools I should get for these tasks? For instance, brake work is next in line: I was consulting my Haynes manual and in that section alone it mentions needle nose pliers, torque wrench, high-melting point brake grease, small punch, allen socket of unspecified size for removing hub, etc. ... I confess, I feel a bit lost just like a fish out of water... I would like to understand what is essential and what is not, one of the main reasons being that my budget is not a very large one.

I'll be going to the nearest Sears and Walmart stores this weekend (trying to get good deals on tools) and I would very much appreciate a good soul here telling me what tools I should be getting there. So far I have a ratchet, a set of metric sockets 9 to 19mm, one of metric wrenches 6 to 18mm, one hex tip socket 14mm, two 4"-high wooden ramps, various screwdrivers, a pair of regular pliers, a hammer and the jack that came with the car. Basically, very close to nothing...

I plan to get a pair of jackstands there (what type should I be getting for my 240D?) and whatever else you'll be suggesting here... These stores are about 10-15 miles away from where I live, so it would be great if I could get all the essential in just one trip. Your advice here will be very much appreciated. For those tools that are specific to just a single task, it would be great if you mentioned what task they are for... clarifications are never unappreciated at my present level of experience.

Thanks,

Rino