View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM

other tools

as you "grow" a good set of crowsfeet are great for things like transmission cooler lines, brake lines etc - I like SK's version because the grab more corners of the nut

breaker bar for 1/2" sockets (handy for the obvious and breaking loose lug nuts)

eventually you will find out that you will need a couple of torque wrenches - you'll need a narrow / low range (transmission pan/gasket for example is only 8nm) somewhere between 8-30 and a regular range (30 - 120 nm) - I think lug nuts are 80lb or 100NM, and rarely do you need anything godzilla - but it happens (lower control arm eccentric bolt I think is 180nm, pit arm rebuild is real high as well as idle arm)

what else
varying rang of rubber mallets to kindle break things loose (rotor stuck to hub for example)

prybars - assortment - definately come in handy

set of punches - as someone mentioned - for breaks, and helping line stuff up (like the upper control arms for that dang top bolt

floor jacks, zip ties, cable cutter pliers

very advanced (not cheap), but saved my rear a couple of times to clean up bolts and bolt holes - metric tap and die set

the basic metric set of 3/8" 1/2" deep and shallow sockets with ratchets and varies extensions will take you a loooong way!
13.6 @ 106mph
10K mi
1984 300SD
260K mi and going and going...
97 S600
46K miles
1991 Sentra SE-R (extremely dorked with)
www.se-r.net