View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Exclamation New Findings!

okay dokay, I'm gonna keep posting in this thread so as to not clutter up the forum with redundant threads.

so, while the wagon is off, has no load in the bed theres an approx 2" gap between the top of the tire and the wheel arch. its very approximate but its gonna be my control.

I load up the bed with 300-400 lbs. the gap diminishes to like 0. the top of the tire is at or beyond the level of the wheel arch.

so I turn the car on. I am ASSUMING the bed should raise up to somewhere close to the non-load, engine-off height. It doesnt.

I unload the bed and put the rear wheels on ramps. measure again and my approx control height of 2" is still there. I load it up and the bed lowers as expected. I start the engine and as before expect it to rise. it doesn't. Now i creep under the car and detach the link between the control arm and valve. I rotate the lever-arm on the valve expecting the car to rise and lower. From what I can see, there doesnt appear to be any movement of the hydraulic shocks.

questions:

first off, am I correct to assume that the vehicle should obviously raise and lower in a fairly immediate fashion? with both weight and manual operation of the valve lever-arm?

secondly, whats next? new valve body?

Lastly where is the pump that drives these hydraulics? should I be able to hear or see it working? The valve body used to work and I find it hard to believe that such a simple valve would suddenly fail. BTW there are no oil leaks and theres plenty of oil.