View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Moderating, Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Not to say the W210 is a bad choice, it indeed is more modern, but it's inferior in build quality to the W124.
While that may be true in general terms, the W124s are aging quickly. Even if you find a good specimen with no rust, age is taking its toll on all the parts.

That was a big factor in my buying the 210. I loved my W124 dearly and it served me flawlessly for 8 years. But I didn't think that buying another one, and expecting to get 5+ years out of it, was a reasonable assumption.

As far as build quality, I don't know if any manufacturer, let alone Mercedes, is going to ever build something like the W124s ever again. It's too competitive a market now with Lexus, Audi, Infinity, etc.

However, there are many features of the 210 which, to me, make up for any lack of build quality. The transmission alone could potentially make the argument. After driving the 722.6, I could not go back to the 4 gear. Yes, it was (is) a solid tranny with proven quality, but it lacks performance and the shifts could sometimes hit at weird times and it seemed to have a mind of its own at times. Not to mention certain shifts could be, well, rough. The 722.6 shifts like a dream. Faster, more responsive and the 5th gear is a must on the highway, IMO. Will it last like the 4 gear? Time will tell.

All IMHO, btw.
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon