View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 01:57 AM

R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install

I have a 2000 SL500 Triple Black Sport with the SL1 and SL2 package options. There are additional aftermarket options available for the R129 but I for one am not interested in making my car look like a Pep Boys Special. But there is one aftermarket option that I do like and it seems to get great feedback from http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showpost.php?p=1447006&postcount=11. And that is "Illuminated Door Sills". So I had an INDY install the "Mercedes Benz" version.

There are several ways to install. DIY, INDY, Stealer, and Radio & Alarm store. After carefully reading the forums I decided to go with M.B. STARS, Walnut, CA (626)913-0780. They came as a reference from a Forum user and they have done this install before. It took two skilled INDY mechanics three hours to install my sills. I was there and saw the excellent work. My total parts and labor cost $330.00

Here are the Parts and Labor Costs that I have found and had quoted.

DIY parts = $149+$13 ship = $162.00 plus fuses, squeeze taps, etc.
INDY labor = $150.00-$225.00 total. Original quote was for two hours but it took three hours.
Radio and Alarm Shop labor = $90.00 total.
Stealer parts and labor = $1,100.00-$1,295.00

I am also posting some important information that I found for you DIY'ers.

The sills are available from Jerry at formymercedesdotcom (Replace the "dot" with a period) for $149+ship.
They do not come with install instructions.

Be sure and clean the original sill with alcohol so the new one will stick properly. Check the fitment before you take the protective backing off the double sided tape. You will want to ensure you line up the upper and lower sills. You may need to make some slight modifications to the metal sill so it sits flush on the original sill. Once you are satisfied with the fitment pull off the backing and install the upper sill.

The display panel has a small 12V DC to 120V AC in-line inverter to drive the display. It has been suggested that you place each inverter in a easily accessible location like the plastic door sill trim that hides the wiring harnesses. If the display stops working simply unplug the little black plastic connector clip and plug it back in. If that doesn't work and the inverter is defective ask Jerry to send a replacement.

See the below diagram for the removal of the door sills on a Standard trim R129.

Adjust seats all the way back.

1) Remove plastic cover over the screw.

2) Remove screw.

3) Remove a plastic "rivet" on the inside of the car forward to the seat.

4) Remove wiring tray plastic rail cover upward.

5) Remove the exterior rear wing plastic trim panel to allow complete access to the sill.

6) It will probably be necessary to remove the original sill (one side only) in order to check for shape and fitment. You may need to trim the forward end of the new sill to match the original sill.

7) Connect wiring and test for illumination by opening and closing doors. Place the inverter in the wiring tray, with rail cover #3 off.

8) Place new sill on top of old sill. Check the fitment again before you take the protective backing off the double sided tape.

9) Replace the exterior rear wing plastic trim panel.
Attached Thumbnails
R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install-doorsillremoval.gif   R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install-r129-5.jpg  

2000 SL500 Silver
2000 SL500 SOLD
1989 560SL SOLD
1988 560SL SOLD

Last edited by lynns; 03-19-2007 at 02:34 PM.