Thread: Starting Issues
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
Cold start -> OK
Hot Start -> OK

Warm start -> problematic.

I agree with one previous post. This is a typical symptom of slightly leaky fuel injectors.

When they leak a little, hot start is not affected because there is not enough fuel to leak out. Cold start is also not affected because there is enough time for the leaked fuel to evaporate.

Warm start is affected because there is leaked fuel (flood). Enough fuel has leaked and not enough time for it to evaporate. You can further confirm by doing a double start. Start it (it may not start). Stop and wait for a few seconds. Start it again (it should start now). The first (failed) start will burn off the leaked fuel and the second start will be successful.

-snip-

This is helping me zero in on my situation, although I am guilty of what stevebl scolds us not to do, namely throwing parts at a problem.

My car, 1991 300CE at 143m, bought it at 111m. It has always had a slightly sluggish start. I occasionally get a quick cold start so that must be the cold start valve working? But for most cold starts, it doesn't catch for a couple of seconds, but it will catch. If I let go too soon and it does not start, and then I restart, it catches immediately. A hot start is fine also. But anything less than a hot start, it stumbles. The car otherwise drives and idles perfectly. I decided to change the fuel filter and since I was going to be rooting around there, I decided to change the accumulator. I only have history back to about 87m and no record of these changes. It's been a few days, and absolutely nothing has changed.

I have used Techron every so often since I bought the car. Some new injectors are on the way, so I'll give them a shot.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

glenmore
1991 300CE
2000 C280
1990 LS400