View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Unofficial wormcan opener

Does this sound safe?

I’ve been hearing a clunking noise in the front end for about a month now. Did a search on the forum and found a likely culprit, loose front sway bushings. Finally got a chance to put it up on the ramps today and sure enough there was my clunk. I never got around to ordering the bushing kit. Phil has it L1049-36181 for $30.33. So I undid the 8 nuts and bolts and had a look at the bushing and the sway bar. The bushing were really worn out and the sway bar seems to be worn where the bushing hold it. I found it hard to believe that rubber could wear steel so maybe they are made with a slightly smaller diameter where the bushings hold it in place. Since I couldn’t get the bushings on a Saturday, I took some EPDM (1/16” rubber roofing) and rapped it around the sway bar where the bushings go. I put it back together and took it for a test drive, my clunk was gone. So do you think it’s ok to leave it like this until I get the bushings?

Chris

Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss