View Single Post
Old 12-09-2001, 08:52 PM
w00t

Talking Took my trusty 300D on a little road trip

Yesterday was the first true test of my Benz's road worthiness. I drove from Plano, TX to Ft Worth then to Dublin, TX and back (of course). In total is was roughly 300 miles. (Odometer is broke)

My Friend and I left at around 9:00am after checking the oil, tire pressure, coolant, and filling up at the local Mobil Station, we got on 75 down to Loop 12. From there we looped around to I30 which took us out to Ft Worth by 10:30-11:00. There we stopped by the NAS to get me a proper Millitary ID, which was why we took this whole trip. At around 2:00 we got back onto I30 which quickly turned into I20 out to 281 which lead to Stephville (and 377) through the beutiful Texas Hill Country. From there it was a stones throw from Dublin and the Dr Pepper Bottling plant that produces Original Cane Sugar Dr Pepper. At around 4:30 we were driving East on 377 along a very nice scenic route that took us back to Ft Worth, then Dallas and back to 75.

Along the way there was a pretty nasty wind from the North that had me aiming the car 10 degrees off center and going faster then 85 made for a lot of wind getting into the cabin (need new weatherstripping). On 281 it became a tail wind which let the car just hurl us over the hills (gotta love that Turbo). On our way back I could tell the transmission fluid wasn't very happy from driving 75-80 into the wind most of the time because it was very relaxed in accelerating when we got into the Dallas area.

Other then that the car performed above and beyond what I thought it would. I was very comfortable the whole way (moved the seat back into "cruising mode") and when we got back home my butt was asleep

1982 300D - Silver/Blue "Ralph" -For Sale:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?p=852260

1989 VW Diesel Jetta Blue/Blue "Bodo" RIP