View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymbrymi View Post
Its going into 4th. If it makes you feel any better mine revs almost that high as well... its just normal for these diesels...

If you put it in L you'll find that there is a first gear you never knew you had. Also, I imagine your kickdown functionality doesn't work. There is a box that is supposed to kickdown the tranny into first whenever you take your foot off the brake from a complete stop (otherwise it starts in second, to prevent brake creep at lights and such).

The kickdown has never worked on either of my W116s... I even replaced the solenoid on the current one.
Thanks

Is it safe to run these things at 80 mph? It didn't feel/sound like it was struggling... the RPM just looked way too high to be safe for a 28 year old diesel.

I put it in L gear and it didn't seem to make any difference. It accelerates GREAT from a dead stop (never thought I'd say that about an old diesel) so maybe the kickdown switch is working? I need to find another W116 to compare against.

Finally my last question is... can we swap the ratio in the rear differential to bring the RPM down a bit on the freeway? I wouldn't mind sacrificing a bit of acceleration for lower rpm on the freeway.
2008 Lexus IS-F