View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Location: Goldsboro, North Carolina (Home of the Seymore Johnson AFB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by softconsult View Post
Not really, you buy the special dipstick and your are good to go. I bought an infra red thermometer just to be sure on the temperature. Other than that it's just like transmission service on other trannies. The new MB fluid for the 722.9 is backward compatible to the the 722.6 and cheaper. Manual says to buy a new lockable red cap each time, but I was able to unlock mine and re-use it. The pan bolts on the 722.6 now eliminate the requirement for just right torquing of the bolts. The bolts go through cast pieces that apply the correct pressure.

The qualifier for me would be if there were no torque converter drain. Then dealer service would be the best approach. Note, my idiot dealer quoted me $450.00 to service the transmission, which was my motivation to do it myself.

Steve
I think I will need all of these types of services to the dealer because I don't think I would want to tackle something this important. I think I'd rather dish out a little more money and have it done professionally then doing it myself trying to save money and end up causing more damage and ultimately paying 10X more. With the kind of luck I usually have, I think I would probably mess up big time, LOL