View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 AM
dieselarchitect

the ferrari v 12 screams like a f1 car when you wind it up to 7000 rpm.

any of the ww2 war birds are pretty unique sounding. a group of them flew over the indy 500 track about 15 years ago with chuck yeager at the stick of a mustang before the race. a b 17 was in the group. what a sound what an image.

i can pick them out of the many many planes that fly over our house liining up to land at the purdue airport across the river.

i have never heard a v 16 that i know of but a straight eight sounds distinctive and cool.

and finally the old jimmy diesels sounded a lot like a v12 when they revved up. of course i didnt know what a v 12 xounded like back then but i loved the high pitched sound and the whine of the supercharger.

back in the sixties the sound of the novi at the speedway was very special too. you could hear the supercharger whistling before anything else and as it got closer the bellow of the exhaust became quite great. it would definately make the hair stand up on your neck.

a rumly oil pull sounds pretty cool too. (that is a really old tractor with one or two very large cylinders which if not under load coast giving a unique sound since they kindof fire at random).

tom w
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.