View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 AM
Mmm! Diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellit View Post
I may have missed the original problem....Is the wire broken...?
I have a sender out of the car...... I could measure the ohms for you ...from a 1978 300D..
I have rebuilt 3 or 4 of these things....mainly just cleaning and removing the corrosion from the bottom attachment points around the low fuel level float contacts....All of these old senders seem to gunk up pretty quick down here in the South........
Just have to be careful if you remove the wire....it is very difficult to handle without kinking...the floats little copper slider arms are delicate also.....good idea to replace the rubber o-ring that seals the unit to the tank....kb
Oh, yeah. It's broken.

I soldered one connection back together, but had intermittent conductivity issues, so I shook it to try cleaning the contacts. I guess I shook it a little too hard, because every connection failed in the process except for the one I soldered back together. I ended up with a number of kinks in the wire.

I do have a new o-ring on hand. Good thing, since the original practically fell apart. That's a common theme so far with this car. If it's rubber, it falls apart. If it's plastic, it falls apart. Heck, if it's metal, it falls apart!

'77 300D Euro Delivery
OM617 turbo / 4-speed swap
404 Milanbraun Metallic / 134 Dattel MB-Tex

Current status:
* Undergoing body work

My '77 300D progress thread