View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Admiral-Third World Fleet

Quote:
They are cheap miserable little things
True , true

Quote:
I remember them as being crude and rattly, with cheap plastic interiors.
You got that right- I just stepped out of one....

Quote:
As for AC, beware the early dealer/POE-installed units, as the brackets were always breaking due to engine vibration
Even the factory installed A/C bracket is a POS. It's a very heavy casting probably weighing 20 lbs. That's sounds OK but hang it in front of a buzzing rattling motor AND THEN mount the water pump behind it that you can only get to by removing this bracket (bolts shear all by themselves) or the blasted timing belt...I don't even use the A/C anymore- the car is too underpowered.

VW built this engine in about 2 months in response to the second oil crisis at the end of the 70's. They used the gasser block and added new pistons and rods and a different (alloy) head. They did a lot better job of adapting than GM did , but they still had some problems.

The car is kind of a torture chamber ( I am in it about 2 hours a day), but I'm only going to work , so why should I enjoy myself?

But, this car , in concept, has evolved into the very enjoyable sorts of small things you can get nowadays in Europe. We had a very nice ride a few months ago in Renault Clio 1.6d that got about 50 mpg and was perfectly fine- I'd take it over any of my Benzes if I could get one here.

Rick
80 300SD (129k mi) 82 240D stick (193k mi)77 240D auto - stick to be (153k mi) 85 380SL (145k mi) 89 BMW 535i 82 Diesel Rabbit Pickup (374k mi) 91 Jetta IDI Diesel (155k mi) 81 VW Rabbit Convertible Diesel 70 Triumph Spitfire Mk III (63kmi)66 Triumph TR4a IRS (90k mi)67 Ford F-100 (??)