View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmblood58 View Post
... a little old lady (literally, she's 87!)
I'd be fearful of buying any used turbodiesel from a "little old lady" who likely puttered around town like an old goat You know that thing is gonna be plugged up and bad.

OTOH, the cleaning process is not that tough. A huge ultrasonic cleaner will have it looking brandy-new in no time. My father had his 1998 inspected last year when the IM was off to correct fuel leaks. His Benz guy said it didn't really need to be cleaned (@110k miles).

If you drive like a normal person and excercise the turbo on a regular basis, life will be good and it's likely, with our new ULSD S15 fuel you'll never have to clean it again. Use of a low-NOACK oil (meeting MBz spec) will also help.

You can route a flex hose from the CCV breather/outlet directly to the ground so it doesn't enter the turbo and ultimately mix with the carbon from the exhaust. I'm not convinced this strategy is really necessary when driven normally, using S15 and a high-quality 229.5 spec oil.

Good luck and enjoy. This vintage diesel is going to be known for one of MBz's best! They're good machines.