View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320 View Post
I remember when I was young and my family was taking a road trip to I have no idea but when we reached a certain state (I can't remember) I actually do remember seeing and noticing that the color of the grass was BLUE! Not BLUE-BLUE but it was really dark green and had a little bluish tint to it. I am in North Carolina and will be changing my grass come next spring and wanted THAT particular grass. I am willing to work hard to keep it up even if it is not suppose to grow in NC. But anyways, do you have any idea what the name of that grass would be or where to get the seeds for it?
My guess would be Kentucky Bluegrass also. Another possibilty, if really had a bluish tinge, could be Blue (Sheeps) Fescue (Festuca ovina var. glauca). We sell seed for it primarily for ornamental applications (grow in pots then transplant in beds) but we do mix a fair amount into naturalized or low maintenance area mixes for golf courses so it can be used in lawn applications also. It does need to overwinter in order to set the plant to turn the color from green to the bluish. I believe it just has to be sub-40*F but I don't remember for what period of time.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)