View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:55 PM

I wouldn't dream of touching this until I had thoroughly read the dozens and I mean dozens of related service tasks on the CD-ROM or the older hard copy 103 engine manual. The latter may be harder to find these days.

Going through this, you'll pick up on all of the other possibilities and become familar with special tools you might want to consider purchasing. A lot of folks get by with backyard technology. Others feel better with gadgets made specifically for given tasks. You don't need all of the MB tools outlined in the manual, but going thru it, you'll be able to figure out which ones might be best to have handy. The ones that really help out are not that expensive as special tools go.

There have been countless write-ups on 103 cyl. head removal on this forum. I would also spend a lot of time going thru the archives. Tons of good info.

If anyone has ever thoroughly documented the process from A-Z, I've yet to see it.

You may also want to consider finding a local MB machine shop and have them redo the stems/guides/grind valves/etc. This might be cheaper than buying a reman, unless you've got a cracked head.

Good luck.
"Fräulein"