Thread: Second Life
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadJohn View Post
I saw it in the June 2006 edition of Popular Mechanics. I spent a week or two on there. It seemed kinda a waste of my time, I couldnt figure out how to do anything on there and I had no money (in the game). I deleted the program and I havent logged on since
That is interesting observation.

After reading the article about the effect of SL on marriages I decided to have a talk with my friend.

I am not going to go into all of that here. But he made an observation that was interesting. He has 2 SL avatars. One male and one female. Both are on the "free" account so, like you wrote, no money and no real guidance on how to do things.

Within a couple of days, male avatars were offering to help my friend's female avatar. The male avatars were very freindly and gave "her" free Linden dollars (the SL currency), offered "her" a free apartment to "stay," gave "her" free clothing, the works. All of that friend's female avatar had to "do" was be nice and friendly to these male avatars.

The male avatars also helped my fried's female avatar by teaching "her" how to move, how to do stuff, how to change clothing, etc.

On the other hand, his male avatar has pretty much languished and not be able to do much of anything. Like you found out: "no money = no fun" and "no money = no females."

Come to think about it, SL is a lot like real life!

Incidentally, my friend has agreed to see a doctor about his addiction. His wife is happy and so are his kids.

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!