View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 AM

1997 E320, 165K. I had the hardest time switching over from my trusty W124. The W124 was bulletproof, easy to fix, handled in a way the W210 just can't, etc. But guess what - after about 4 months and 4,000 miles of driving (it's just a part-time use car) I have been converted.

I still love the W124 and miss mine dearly (I need to mark it "sold" in my signature). I still believe it is probably the best all-around package ever made by MB. I swore that the W210 was evil. But actually, it's not the low-quality trash I had feared it would be:

* Doors still close as solidly as the W124 - I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Interior appears to be maybe just a notch or two lower than the W124's quality, but still very very good.
* Performance and handling don't feel anywhere near the same - the W124 is definitely the driver's car. But on paper (acceleration, skidpad, braking, etc.) it blows away the W124. Though it seems to wallow a bit more, it definitely does not have the tendency to roll in the corners like the W124. Nice and tight. The M104 definitely outperforms the M103 by far.
* The 722.6 is what makes the car, if you ask me. No more pronounced shifting like in the W124, and it has an uncanny ability to respond to input the way the 722.5 just can't. If you haven't driven a car with a 722.6 or newer tranny, you simply have no basis for comparison and can't understand how much it improves the driving experience.
* Styling is fresher (the W124 is starting to look dated). Now I had a 91 W124; the 94/95 models probably have a few more years before they look dated. If I ever buy another W124 it'll be a 94/95.
* The interior space is absolutely cavernous compared to the W124 - this is important to me as I often have 4 adults in my car, and a couple of my friends are big guys. The space is on par or maybe even greater than my SWB W126.
* It gets better fuel economy (19-21 mpg city). Actually, I got similar mpg in my W124, but I had to drive it very conservatively. If I wanted any fun at all, that figure could quickly drop into the 16-17 range. I drive spiritedly in the W210 and still get 19mpg at the worst.
* Bose sound system is much better than the W124, and I find the weather band indispensible. No antenna to break off like on the W124.
* Call me a wimp, but even though I too used to criticize them, I have grown very fond of the amenities such as keyless entry, pollen and charcoal filters, tilt and telescoping steering wheel (W124 telescopes only), modern glass sunroof with sunscreen (instead of the dated all-metal design of the W124), flip-up heated/cooled armrest console compartment (great for keeping your lunch cold on the way to the office), perfectly-placed cupholder, built-in homelink transmitter, traction control, nicer fog lamps, third headrest in the back seat, etc.

As far as maintenance goes, I bought it from a friend and have a thick folder containing every maintenance receipt from day one. Had a head gasket at somewhere around 80K miles, and I did another one when I bought it 4 months ago with about 161K. So that is definitely a concern. The 722.6 tranny is original, never any problems, shifts like a dream. The fluid was changed once probably around 100K - I will be doing it again soon. Oil leak was fixed at the upper timing cover. A/C compressor blew up sometime around 150K. Tensioner was replaced once, same with the water pump - I don't recall at what mileage. Both rear window regulators are shot (wood holding up the windows), but it's a cheap and easy rainy-day project. MAF was replaced around 90K, and then again by me just a few weeks ago at around 163K - had to replace it twice, in fact because the first one was bad, but that problem was related to the quality of the replacement part more than anything. MAF can be an expensive part, but it installs in about 5 minutes, and if you replace it every 100K or so I don't think you're doing too bad. Ran with original alternator up until about 150K when I replaced with a new Bosch. Ate through batteries and experienced no-starts from about 145K to 155K until I resolved an issue with a corroded ground strap.

All in all, I don't think the repair history is any worse than that of a W124. It's not a Honda or Toyota, but I would say the repairs aren't out of the ordinary.

With respect to the body, mine has not an ounce of rust, but it has been a Dallas car from new. Rust-free W210s are out there, but you have to look for them. Oh yeah, my dash is cracked in all those little places, but this has long since stopped bugging me.
86 W126 560SEL
85 W126 380SE Silver
85 W126 380SE Cranberry
79 W123 250
78 W123 280E
75 W114 280

Last edited by gmercoleza; 09-21-2007 at 11:14 AM.