View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
W210 E300TD Newbie

I have a '98 E300TD. It's got 184k on the clock, and 10k+ of those are mine. I've done a few minor maintenance items -- all things I could do myself, like an A/C regulator, a brake light switch, an oil change, etc. It runs like a champ, and even being a diesel, it doesn't burn a drop of oil. The biggest job I've done was changing all six glow plugs -- an issue you've heard about. I'd never done that before on any car, and it took me about three hours with a helper. All six were in pretty tight, but they all came out without breaking, the new ones went in, the check engine light went away, etc. I spent a lot more time worrying about the repair than actually making it.

My folks have a '99 E320 that they bought new. Ordinarily they replace cars on a two-year cycle. Mom loves that W210 so much she has ordered Dad not to replace it. It only has about 50k on it now, and looks like the day it was new. In cruise-control highway driving, it will regularly return 32-34mpg, and once or twice has stretched for 35mpg. Not shabby! Heck, that's even a little better than my diesel does when running biofuel.

A guy with a little spare time can do plenty of his own maintenance on these cars, and they're great to drive. Find a good one and go for it!

Cheers, John