View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:51 PM

The first campaign is #2005-020003 Harmonic Balancer. I told the dealer that I had already replaced the harmonic balancer, my E320 is an early build 1998 the harmonic balancer went before they were even thinking about a campaign. The balancer checked ok. Total charge $95.90 of which $34.50 was the actual inspection the rest was listed as labor.

The second campaign is #2000-100002 Cavity Wax. They applied sealing compound to the longitutinal frame. Total charge $80.50 of which $15.40 was for the sealant.

Since this was the first time I had my car in for service I am new to MB Service Campaign's. I was not even aware that there were outstanding campaigns on my car. (Acura sends me letters notifying me of potential problems with my wife's car suggesting that I take it in for a free fix).

When I took the car in I also said that I wanted a wheel alignment done. When the Tech looked at the car they found that the lower balljoints were worn, the trans connector guide bushing needed replacing and one of the cats was rattling. I approved the balljoints and trans connector bushing but not the cat since the estimate was $800 and no codes were present to trigger the check engine light.

Since I only paid $628 for both spring perches I feel that the dealer charges fair prices but if I am not to get charged for service campaigns then I expect to get a refund.

The service writer asked why I don't take my car in for service since I have owned it for past 8 years. I explained that when my car was at 80K miles I called about making an appointment to have the trans fluid & filter changed. There reply was that they do not recommend this service nor would they perform it. I decided at that point that if they don't want to maintain my car the way I wish to maintain it then I will do it myself. I also pointed out that I started using Mobil 1 0W40 long before Mercedes started recommended it for FSS cars, I also change my oil every 6K miles.

The service writer responded that he understands my point.
1992 Chevy Astro, 205K Miles

Last edited by Southern; 12-01-2007 at 06:59 PM.