View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 12:20 AM

purchasing 87 300SDL what should I know

I'm a long time Jetta TDI owner, but after she was totaled by the insurance company I'm in the market for a MB, and I've found a nice 87 300SDL ($2900). It has 208,000 but the odamator stopped working some time ago. The only problem is the driver window doesn't role up and down all the way. And the tranny shifts really hard out of 1 to 2 and takes forever to shift into 3rd, you have to get her up to 40mph before she will shift over that.

So ball park numbers, what am I looking at fixing the tranny, I'm hoping it's a vacuum leak, but I'm thinking not. Tomorrow the owner is going to take it over to eagle tran's to have them take a look at it.

I took it for a test drive, and she drove fine, the temp needle was just above 80.C, But nothing to worry about. What I do worry about is the inspection sticker is out, and the car had been setting for two months. And it has a fuel leak coming from the hole in the metal injector line, going into cylinder 4. So nothing that I can't really fix, okay the tranny is something I'm going to leave to the pro's but I can fix the rest.

Here is what I'm thinking, I know on these cars your going to have to have a tranny rebuild sooner then later, so why don't I get it out of the way. I'm hoping to pick up the car for less then $2900 once I find out how much the tranny is going to cost.

What should I know about the make and model of these car. I've done some searches but the more I know the better.

Thanks so much for your help

Michael

98 Jetta TDI with grease car kit + veg-therm (totaled)
87 MB 300SDL running on B99 / greasecar kit + 30 fphe
www.austingreaseguys.com