View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Who's flying this thing ?

For information about the W126 car generally, but written about the 560SEC specifically, (forgetting for a moment, the 2 less doors on its body and the gas engine), there is still enough there in the buyer's guide section, at www.mbcoupes.com and even a inspection checklist, that would help you a lot.

My guess is that a new transmission for a W126 probably would run you from around $1500 up to $2500 in a shop that did it right and gave a good guarantee. They are typically good for about 250,000 miles and are good robust units, but it sounds like this one is at the end of the road, so it is pretty normal.

The odometer plastic gears are probably stripped and need to be replaced, this happens sometimes.

It may very well be a good car, for the money, as really really good ones hit $8,000 to $10,000 or even more, in these frenzied times of high fuel prices and biodiesel interest which has caused the prices on these to really skyrocket.

Any of them from '86 up are of course the mildly upgraded Generation II ones, with smooth lower rockers, new interior patterns, some with ABS, airbags, and other nice equipment.

I hope the airconditioning blows cold. The body integrity needs to be good, avoid rust, look in the trunk, under the carpets, take it through a carwash on the test drive, and then carefully check for leaks into the interior and trunk.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)