Thread: MB quality?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2002, 11:43 PM

Sorry, blackmercedes, but it is a healthy debate. We are talking about reliability and remember MB costs at least twice as much as a Toyota so it is reasonable for us to expect MB to have EQUAL (not better) reliability as Toyota. I have owned two Toyotas. The 1992 Corolla I owned for 4 years was never back at the dealer. A Camry I owned for 5 years was at the dealer once to have a faulty multi-function switch replaced under warranty. Neither had any oil leak problem, whatsoever.

<<
Toyota has a severe problem with head gaskets on V-6 engines.
>>
So does MB. MB has a severe problem with head gaskets in their I-6 engines.

<<
They also have problems with electrical components, and failing cruise control units.
>>
So does (square) MB.

<<
Brake components don't last very long, and rotors warp frequently.
>>
MB rotors are among the easiest to warp. Toyota does not require change of the brake fluid and that is one of the advantage MB has in long brake life. Had the fluid in MB brakes not changed, . . .

<<
In 1997, the Camry's material quality dropped, and even lighter duty brake components are now used.
>>
So did MB. On the new E-class, vynyl was used on the dash and that cracks easily.

<<
Camry's also have drivability problems that are lined to engine management, but have remained unsolved for years. Stumbling and stalling is common on 92-96 Camrys.
>>
Irregular idle, hard cold/warm start, OVP, wiring harness, ASR, limp home in MB. Many are unresolved in MB. There is one member who has this E500 ASR light or somesuch for a long time and I believe it is still not resolved.

<<
Toyota has a peeling paint problem, especially on white Camrys. They have repainted lots of cars, and to their credit, at their cost.
>>
This is one area MB is better than Toyota.

<<
Common problems with 94-98 Camrys include:
Faulty window regulators.
Smelly AC units.
Failing AC, including evaporator problems and faulty expansion valves.
>>
LOL. want to get into the MB condenser/evaporator? One repair on the W140 can by you 1/4 of a Camry.

<<
Surging and shuddering when decelerating, really bad on 95-96 models.
Defective automatics that slip out of "Park."
94-96 cars have rusting and failing trim (in Canada badly).
Mufflers don't last very long.
>>
Do you need a list for common problems for MB?

<<
Toyota pefect? Nope. BUT, they usually don't fight with the customer about warranty repairs. Been to a GM dealer lately?
>>
Should it be "been to an MB dealer lately?" as FastNSX has many times lately.