View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtony View Post
thanks for all the replies, how can one determine if the timing in the pump is a litle late?
and if that was the case why does it sound perfect when you first start the engine.?
I did used the old returnd lines but there only 3 months old. I'm taking the injectors out tomorrow to make sure everything is clean and the heatshields are ok. I did see a litle bit of smoke coming out of the injector # 1 and #3 it seems that 30 ft/lbs is a litle low for this.

30 ft/lbs is preaty close to 40 nm right.
99 E300 151K
I did the delivery valve seals on my 96 e300d, and ended up with similar results. Prior to the job, engine was quiet at idle, but after I did the job, it sounded like a diesel...with minor clacking. No problems with smoke, power, performance or sounds at highway speed, just made a sewing machine sound at idle, or when driving about 15 mph and taking your foot off the throttle. The one thing I did notice was the fact that when the engine is started from dead cold, the sewing machine sound will not be present while the glow plugs are engaged. Once the after glow process was finished, the sewing machine sound is immediately noticed. I have a scanguage attached, and from a cold start, the afterglow will be activated for approximately 1-2 minutes. The scanguage will indicate a voltage of about 11.8 while the afterglow process is operational, and then jumps to 13.6 when the process disengages. When I first did the delivery valve job, I did not change out the copper crush washers. After driving the car for about 400 miles, I redid the delivery valve job, only this time changing out the copper crush washers. The nailing at idle is gone, and has not returned. It is my thought that when I first did the job without changing out the crush washers, that too much fuel was getting into the engine, and as long as the glow plugs were activated, it did not cause a problem. As soon as the glow plugs disengaged, this extra fuel caused the nailing. This is only my opinion, and I have no proof to back it up. __________________
96 E300d