View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jearnold View Post
Called RBM Mercedes of Atlanta dealer

No codes since the check engine light is not on. Recommends on do nothing until transmission fails, problem may have been a fluke. You should not have to add fluid since the transmission is a sealed unit, they don't even have a labor code to perform fluid and filter change. They also claim this transmission is bullet proof, he has been working their for 12 years and has seen only one fail.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, first thought is they are idiots, or rather the service adivsor you spoke to is an idiot. When I first bought my '98 I was told the same thing by my SA. Also, in my wagon which has the same 722.6 we experienced a failed TCM and never got a check engine light so the fact that no CEL is lit does not mean they cannot read the adaptation codes and find the problem. Find yourself another dealer or call M-B USA and ask if they now recommend fluid and filter service for your transmission or not.

It's funny that they repeat the party line about almost never having seen a failed one and yet they tell you to continue to drive until it fails? They want to sell you a $4000 transmission not a $250 service is why they tell you not to change the fluid regularly. The old line was "sealed for life" which is about 100,000 miles typically if the fluid isn't changed...then you buy a new tranny. Now they actually do recommend an initial service at 39,000 miles I understand but I don't know if they call for a service interval after that or not.

Doesn't one of our members (M.B.Doc?) work in the Atlanta area? Maybe you need to find him.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 03-03-2008 at 10:41 AM.