View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotemark View Post
Interesting. I don't think mine are grinding, though. They are really not doing anything at all. One hums occassionally when you get in the car, but that is about it. I once stupidly took it to a dealer and asked them to look at it and tell me what needed to be done, and they of course called me an hour and a half later and told me both of the presenters and the relays needed to be replaced at a cost of about $2200. I laughed for a good long while. Then I found out the cost of buying just the presenters and how no one will ship them.

Anyway, I will open up one side and take a close look. I'll be delighted if it is the gears.

Mark
I had to laugh when I read your post, not at your predicament, but at the dealer's attitude. They have no interest in fixing anything, they are just interested in replacing parts.

If your presenters occasionally hum (does it hum anything in particular?) you are at least getting some juice there. The fact that both are not working means (to me anyway) that there is some electrical problem keeping them from functioning correctly.

This may sound too obvious, but have you checked the door contact switches? There are two contacts on each side door, one for the courtesy lights and one for the presenter. One day my left side presenter stopped working completely. I pulled out the switch, cleaned it and when I re-installed it the presenter worked again.

I think that the contact switch for the courtesy lights is identical to the one for the presenter, how about switching them?

I love the presenters, but if I had to dish out $2,200.00 to repair them, I would just have to do without. Like I wrote earlier, there are coupe owners who intentionally disabled the presenters. So go figure.

I am having a similarly vexing electrical problem with my car. The lights for the mirror on the sun visors in my 300CE have stopped working (both side). I know the lights are good because I tested them on the 300TE.

I cleaned out the contacts and still no light. Then one day I removed the floor mat and pad on the front passenger side to tidy up the wires from the installation of my new Alpine H/U. In the process I moved some wires around (from an alarm that the previous owner had installed and is now disabled) and when I looked up the lights from both sun visors mirros were working. I thought that I had somehow stumbled unpon a fix for the lights and I was real proud of myself. But then when I replaced the pad and floormat, the lights turned off again.

I have no idea what I did to make the lights work and I have no idea what I did to make them stop working again. So now I just live w/o the vanity mirror lights...oh well.

Good luck to you!

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!