View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 AM
WECO Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE_V View Post
The car has 92 K miles on it and i plan on keeping it for a while.. that is a good idea. I do I need to get new pistons if I redo the heads? I am confused...

BTW.. the parts are hear and I just inspected them and found the replacement radiator to look kinda cheep. But the neck where my original broke, has reinforced metal rings I guess this is a known issue so with the redesigned unit, they have address this issue, not only on the return port, but on the delivery port as well.
What brand is the radiator? Did you inspect the coolant coming out of the old radiator along with the insides of the old hoses for oil contamination? Oil ruins the rubber hoses and they will fail in the near future if you have an oil in coolant situation. If you are confident that you don't have oil in your coolant, then replace the radiator and associated hoses.

No, you don't need to get new pistons. Your '91 300 CE with 92k miles sounds like a nice car. IF you DO have a defective head gasket causing oil in the coolant, then you should replace the head gasket NOW. You don't want to overheat the engine if you have another hose or radiator failure. Realistically, you are looking at a 3 to 4 day job. 1 day to remove the head, 2nd day to take the head to a machine shop and have it re-surfaced along with new valve guide seals and a valve job, and pick up new parts to complete the job. 3rd day to pick up head and start re-installation. 4th day to wrap it up and work out any issues.
And while you're in there, you should consider replacing the engine mounts if they haven't been replaced.

1993 190E 2.3
2001 SLK230
1971 LS5 (454) Corvette Convertible