View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

I have used this process many times with good results.
Put the trim into the rubber, then the rubber onto the glass, lay a piece of thin rope (I use the cord from venetian blinds) into the channel that goes over the metal flange on the opening, start and end at the bottom middle with plenty of over lap at the center. Tape the rubber/trim to the glass using masking tape. Go from the inside to the outside or vice/versa and leave plenty to stick to the glass. This holds everything together and when you place the whole works into position the cord is used to pull the rubber seal into place. If you are careful and use plenty of lube (glycerin, liquid dish soap etc.) you can usually pull the rubber lip right over the metal flange. Occasionally you may have to kind of pull the cord in large cicular motion to coax it over the flange. Start at the bottom middle go accross and start up one side to get past the corner, then do the same on the other side. Once both are at about the same place continue on to get past each top corner then continue on to the middle. DO NOT use a rubber mallet, LIGHT pressure from outside may help but it is usually not needed. Simply pull the masking tape from the inside and outside and you are done, if everything is well lubed it will pull out from between the rubber and the flange. I have replaced many front and rear glasses this way.

1984 300SD "Ole Girl"