View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Holy cow! (also - thanks to Bens Lover)

So: recently I had my car in at at a shop here in town to get a new alternator (which was in fact found to be faulty) to cure my electrical system woes.

On the way home from picking the car up, the car starting acting a little unusual - sluggish, almost like I was trying to drive with my foot on the brake. I soon realized that that was exactly what was happening - the rear calipers had both seized. Pulling over into a nearby parking lot, I got out to survey the damage. Both discs glowing red, plenty of smoke, and one of the pads with a small flame. I waited about an hour while a flatbed arrived to take me home, and in the meantime spoke to the generous and very helpful Bens Lover on the phone who graciously agreed to help me replace the rotors, calipers, and pads this weekend.

Thanks again buddy! I owe you one, for real. I am not going back to that shop in question - especially not after having sent it to them for a diagnosis, they also were quick to comment on how it seemed that my rear brakes were acting up. Now - I am an optimistic man and am willing to call this coincidence, but still. I trust myself and Bens Lover to put this right more than I trust the shop.

A cursory post mortem (very cursory) now that it is parked safely at home seems to show that I have got plenty of brake fluid, no brake hoses missing, cv boots still appear to be in order. I hope my wheel bearings are not shot to hell.

Anyhow, I guess I am not asking ay real questions here, just a story for you guys. The important thing was I didn't get in an accident!