View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

Cap

The fuel and oil caps look very similar. Didn't I read somewhere here about someone trying to use one for the other and it leaked? The fuel cap has a Mercedes star stamped into it but the oil cap says "OEL" and also has a Mercedes star.

I found (when I first had my 123) that the clean/polish job was so big that it just got discouraging. So, I adopted the policy of doing a little bit every time I worked on the car. It has taken two years to get what you see and it's nowhere near done. There's always something else.

Examples and hints:
(a) when changing oil, polish the oil cap and the filter housing cap.
(b) when doing a valve adjustment, polish the valve cover.
(c) as a project (most 123s need this), remove the battery and clean/repaint or replace the battery tray. Clean underneath and around, remove rust and seal/paint as needed. Remove and polish the heat shield ('85 CA only, I think) between battery and turbo.
(d) when replacing headlamp bulbs or otherwise working in that area, be sure to clean the sheet metal under the headlights and be sure the water drain holes aren't clogged, it's another good place for rust.
(d) '85 CA trap cat replacement (for testing purposes only) is a good time to clean the right side of the block and install a block heater (if you can get the dam' plug out). Replace the turbo oil feed line gasket and the turbo drain pipe gasket and rubber grommet while you're in there. Also polish the turbo and remove/block the EGR valve and all of its plumbing, including the vacuum control valves on the left fender, making that fender easier to keep clean. While the air cleaner box is out, clean it up and make sure all of the rubber is in good shape.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970