View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
The only reference I could find in the tranny manual about 5 spds was a note about a bushing where the shift lever plugs into the shifter "note that in the 4-spd gearshift only the black plastic bushing (4) is installed. If the white plastic bushing (5 speed) is installed, reverse speed cannot be shifted" Could the only difference be this bushing??

I seem to remember a big difference in shifters when I did the swap but that could have been the difference in the early (2 piece) and the one piece tranny shifter. I didn't think there was a difference in the shifters. Dont know if this helps but it may be a start.

thanx, I will pull the shifter part lists on EPS. It seemed to me they were significantly different when I looked at it before but I do not have a spare 4 speed shifter to look at. If this pans out I will post the conversion in another thread. As far as the w201 5 speed shifter. The legs are different lengths than the w123 5 speed shifter, but they are long so to convert it looks like a cut and remove 1/2 from one leg and reweld and a cut and flip over and reweld on another leg. Looks like maybe a good hours worth of work. once that is done it is simply a matter of 2 mount holes drilled in the trans tunnel to mount it

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)