View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM

I would first call local indys, and maybe even the dealer, for referrals for a glass shop, then contact your insurance company. They would probably be glad to go with one of the recommended referrals and ask them to document, photos, etc. any damage and needed repairs.

Also, after watching the replacement on mine, I would recommend you do it indoors and in a well heated environment. The reason is that the adhesive is non-hardening and will give you a considerably better, non-leaking, seal if the surfaces are warm. (I had mine facing into the Texas summer sun for a couple of hours and the installer commented on the better sealing with heat. The installer was recommended by a local independent who uses them exclusively.)

Also, I can tell by the damage that your local Safelite installer didn't have a clue about how to change your windshield. Those side cowlings are easily removed. Run a phillips screwdriver along between the rubber and the glass and there are three screws to remove. Then the cowling slides up about 3/8", being held at the upper end by a stud in a slotted eye. Then the aluminum trim is gently pried up with a trim removal tool, working from the sides and toward the upper middle, where the little slide piece covers the gap. Once the trim is off, they apply heat to the adhesive areas with a heat gun and push up. I was surprised at how easy it is on the W126.

84 300SD 350K+ miles ( Blue Belle )