View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

617 Missing on a cylinder and other issues

My dad's '83 300SD with 301k on it is having some weird engine issues. Firstly, its always been a "gruff" engine, with a somewhat harsh idle etc, but runs smooth and delivers great power/economy. It also has essentially no blowby at all. Yesterday I did a valve adjustment on it, and it developed a bad injector knock on the #1 cylinder, still ran ok, but had a metallic knock.

So I pulled the cover and rechecked the valves, turns out I had over loosened the intake valves because two of my feeler gauge's had stuck together! The "over loosening" was maybe 3/4 turn of adjustment, not huge. I probably set them to like .20ish mm instead of .10mm....I adjusted them all properly at this point. Put it back together, still knocking on cyl #1......sounded a lot like injector knock. (All valves had been quite tight prior to adjustment) Timing chain appears to have about 1.5 degrees of stretch or so. BUT, it doesn't seem to "ride the rail" all the way, the tensioner is crooked, and doesn't like up with the pressure pin, its offset. Thus, the chain's forward-most edge (to front of motor) rides out in space, hanging off the guide rail. Is this right or is something real wrong here? The rest of the chain rides on the guide and it doesn't seem to have any wear or grooves in it.

When loosening injector #1 hard line, the clack/nailing went away. So we swapped out injector one with a spare. Upon install and running, it would not run on that cylinder, it was shaking and loping along on 4....even with the hard line bled properly and checked for fuel. So we tried yet another injector.....this time it decided to run on it....but missed occassionally...and still has a slight clacking sound. It runs ok and he's been driving it, but he said it still shakes a bit sometimes and has the knock/nailing sound.

Any ideas?!

To top it off, the new starter I put in our 300D is skipping, at this point I think there might be damaged teeth on the flywheel. Perhaps caused by the old starter that didn't always engage right.

Not a good week.

Any ideas on the knocking?
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)