View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMBDiesels View Post
I see the flex plate and the center bearing. How are you going to mate this to the original straight axle in the rear? Are you going to fab up U-joints? If so, what about the center bearing? Of course if you transplant the MB rear and suspension that would make one cool IRS truck!

When I first saw the thread I figured that you would mate the 617 to the Chevy tranny somehow.
My plan is to have a custom driveshaft made. I've spoken with N.W. Drivetrain in Houston about having the work done (I hear they do "from scratch" driveshafts), but they guy there won't tell me he can do it for sure until he sees what he is working with. I'm going to take some vacation next monday and have the truck hauled out there (hopefully by then I will have the cab off to make it easier on him).

The approach I want to take is to keep the back 90% of the drive shaft stock GM, and just put a mercedes tip on it. I plan to do this with a driveshaft from a junkyard 240D I picked up a few weeks ago. The outer diameter of the GM driveshaft is 2.50", and the outer diameter of the mercedes shaft is 60mm (2.36"). So I'm hoping they can put both driveshafts on a lathe (bore out the GM, and turn down the merc) so that the sleeve into one another, and them weld them together. I figure that's the best bet for having something which has minimal run-out (ie, stays straight) and will be balanceable.

Last edited by cell; 01-07-2009 at 07:53 PM.