View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 AM

I have started my '98 after parking out overnight in below zero (F) weather with nothing more than the usual glow cycle (wait for the light to go out) and turn the key.

It never takes any more cranking than when it is 70 out. One or two revs with the starter and it starts. No shaking or bucking. If all was correct with yours it would not shake or buck either so there is something wrong here. I still suspect fuel or the additive you use. How long has it done this for? Do you always buy fuel at the same station?

They do nail a bit when cold, that is normal...they are also noticeably slower until they warm up a bit - also normal, but missing or smoking or bucking is abnormal.

Have you tried reading the OBDII for stored codes? You say it threw a CEL one time - I don't suppose you scanned it then?

Have you closely examined the top of the injector pump for diesel leaks? Any sign of leaks there would indicate bad delivery valve seals. Also, when was the last time you replaced the o-rings on the shutoff valve and prefilter? These are the three most often overlooked causes of performance/fuel system issues.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 01-19-2009 at 07:57 AM.