View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madigral View Post
Hello I have been lurking for some time now. I have a 1997 with the OM606. I have had other Mercedes diesels in the past. The car has 110K on the ticker. On days below zero it bucks and snorts and smokes like a detroit diesel. At this same time it will not rev past 2 grand. All fuel lines have been replaced and the injectors are new. Glow plugs are all new and read approximately 1.6 ohms each. A few minutes into this event it will start to act normal. I am at a loss as to why but it did set a CEL last time it did this. I am not sure if this was due to an undervoltage condition to get it to start. It acts like there is air somewhere that is being purged, but I am thinking EGR for some reason. I have cleaned the intake, flaps, and have a new switchover valve. Any thoughts from the group.
I would say from your discription that one or more of your glow plugs are not lighting up. I have a 96 E300d, and my car exhibited the exact same traits that yours is showing, only in my case, the "Glow Plug" light would come on after the engine was started, indicating one or more of the plugs were bad. The ohm reading test is not always 100% accurate, and even though a plug gives a low reading, it may not be functioning as designed. I replaced all six plugs, and the issues dissapeared immediately. If it is air in the lines, then the same traits that it exhibits at zero should also be present at warmer temperatures. If the car set a CEL, it would be helpful to know what the number of the error code was in order to try and narrow down the problem. Good luck!!