View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
As you know.........you'll have to pull the turbo..........which is best done with the manifolds.
I disagree, I've done this several times(once to replace the starter and a few other while swapping tranny's) and it is definitely possible to remove w/o removing the turbo...
edit: I just realized that you were probably talking about the 'turbo stuff', not the starter...

-I put the front up in the air and then disconnect the battery.
-Then I remove the wires on the starter, the screw holding the relay wire is a little bit of a PITA, esp. when reinstalling it, but not too bad...
-then I take the two allen socket bolts that mount it to the bell with extensions and a wobbler/universal if necessary from underneath(a good set of forged american ones works best, avoid cheap extensions like the plague)...you can put a jack under the tranny and disconnect the rear mount for extra wiggle room if necessary...
-finally take the support bracket off...
- then to pull it from the vehicle, like others have mentioned , you drop it thru the suspension/steering linkages, this will be the most time consuming part your first time, but it WILL come out... turn the wheel all the way to the right and it should be obvious how it needs go...

Most of this is accomplished with a combination attack from above and below... would be helpful to have a competent person to assist you from above or below...

I'd say that it can be done in less than an hour the second time you do it, but the first time will take a competent mechanic a little longer. that being said, if you've never done it, plan for four hours and you should be pleasantly surprised with your time

I noticed you're on the 'west coast' Im in San Diego, if thats near to you I can help you out at some point, but I'm pretty busy so itll be on a 'as able' basis
josh

Last edited by SurfRodder; 02-11-2009 at 11:15 PM.