View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydla1 View Post
Hello Brian -- reporting back.

Sorry for the response delay. Yesterday being Valentine's, I thought it best to spend quality time with my girlfriend.

So, this evening I quickly isolated the black box and plugged the tees with golf-tees (I'll clean it up later). Vacuum at idle (~700 rpm) increased slightly to 12.5" Hg. At 50-60 mph the vacuum is between 7.5" Hg and 8.0" Hg. If I gradually accelerate from a stop such that the vacuum stays 4" Hg or above, there is flaring at 2-3, but I can not say that it is any worse that before isolating the 3-2 valves. If I accelerate such that vacuum stays below 3.5" Hg, shifting is smooth through all gears. No problems downshifting on full throttle. Whatcha think?
Agreed.........I did the same.........

Good job on the tests. What you need to do is to find the small dome on the side of the VCV and carefully lift it off with a sharp knife. Beneath the dome should be a small screw secured by a locknut.

Before making any adjustments, disconnect the main vacuum supply line from the T above the VCV and connect the Mityvac to this hose. It'll be the Mityvac on one side, the transmission modulator on the opposite side and the VCV on the bull (via the damper). Pump up the mityvac and confirm the 12.5" at idle. It should hold vacuum reasonably well..........bleed down in 20 seconds or more.

With the Mityvac pumped up (you'll have to keep squeezing if it's falling), release the locknut and turn the adjusting screw about five degrees (clockwise.......IIRC........but, it's been awhile). DO NOT TURN MORE THAN FIVE DEGREES. Watch the Mityvac and look for a reduction in vacuum down from the original 12.5". Keep pumping the Mityvac during this process. If I'm wrong in the direction of the screw......turn it very slightly counter-clockwise.

The goal is to reduce the vacuum at idle to approx. 8". If you achieve this, tighten the locknut, replace the domed cover, remove the Mityvac, and reconnect the main vacuum line.

Take it for a test drive. The 2-3 flare should be gone.

Report back with result.