|
As long as the gov is writing checks, I got a suggestion!
'Unknown' Katrina Victim Files For $3 Quadrillion Lawsuit
By Can Tran
Published Jan 10, 2008
Those who have suffered throughout the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 have put a price tag on their suffering. The victims of Hurricane Katrina have filed about 489,000 claims.
Out of the 489,000 claims, the federal government has only received 247 of them seeking at least $1 billion a piece. There is one claim seeking 3 quadrillion dollars. This is the price tag that has been placed by the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Currently, the largest figure so far filed against the federal government is $3,014,170,389,176,410.
This is for the damage from the failed levees and floor walls that came after Hurricane Katrina after August 29, 2005. The other largest figures were merely $1 billion a piece.
“That’s the mother of all high numbers,” said Baton-Rouge based economist Loren Scott.
He said that a mere one quadrillion dollars would dwarf the United States gross national product of $13.2 trillion in 2007.
“I understand the anger,” he said. Scott adds: “I also understand it’s a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down.”
There is not much known about who had filed the three quadrillion dollar suit. This was filed in Baker located 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the core of Katrina’s destruction. However, Baker has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived ever since the ravaging by Hurricane Katrina.
Hurricane Katrina has been blamed for over 1,600 deaths and is deemed the most destructive storm to hit the United States.
Most of the claims were filed before the deadline. However, the Army Corps is still receiving those claims.
The group doesn’t pass judgment on the merits of each claim as it’s up to the Federal courts.
|