View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 AM

Yeah, its only a minor smell with my car, alittle stronger with his.

My '84 190D diesel didnt have a diesel smell under the hood either.... only occasionally and very faintly, but there was a canister/filter type part on the left front of the engine that had a couple of cracks on it. I guess it was from that. I sold the car before I got around to replacing it. I guess the new owner took care of that. Strange, the MB had been serviced at a Mercedes dealer only 3 months before I bought it. Not sure why they did not catch it. They were instructed to go over the car with a fine toothed comb and service anything it needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
A slight fuel odor probably isn't much of a concern....but I'd look things over. A strong fuel smell is bad.

FYI none of our diesels smell like diesel under the hood at all. If all the lines and clamps are in good shape and not sweating or leaking....there should be 0 diesel smell.

My brothers 300D did smell like diesel last week, because his cigar hose split at the top and was pulsing a steady stream of fuel down the hose, onto the car, and onto the ground. Replace the hose....cleaned the fuel up....no more smell.