View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Nothing in 1-2, 2-3, barely move in 4

Brian,

Was driving on a main highway for about an hour at 70, entered the city and slowed to make a right turn. When accelerating(gently!) out of the turn, I heard/felt a clunk, a bang and it just flared like crazy. I could get it to move only if I revved to 3500-4000 rpm and then backed off a bit. It then slowly gathered speed enough to make it home(about 70 miles). Vacuum is good to the modulator, and the VCV leaks off from 12" to 5" in about 20-30 seconds. When I checked the fluid right after it happened(before returning home), it was 1/2" high on the dipstick and had some small bubbles. After returning home and letting things cool for a day, the fluid was where it should be and the color looked ok(red not brown). Also discinnected the vacuum line to the tranny and it seemed to move a little better, although still flaring badly. Ordered 2 AT filter kits yesterday and will change fluid/filter, add Trans-X, run engine for an hour or so, drain and change filter, fill with AutoZone Dexron III/mercon(only kind available locally) and hope for the best.
Question: Should I also try to get the K-1 and K-2 kits and install them at this time? If so, what are the p/n's for them. Thanks for any advice as the closest M-B dealer is in Tucson(500 mile round trip). I really hope that there is a solution other than a rebuilt tranny.

PS, haven't pulled pan yet to see if any strange pieces down there as only place to work is open to the wind and dust(it's Mexico) and when I do open it up, I will need to make some kind of wind/dust barrier.

Dave
'81 300SD
'81 VW diesel caddy