View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookwhaler View Post
Adjusting the steering box is the last resort after you have checked and or replaced everything and or you are positive that the rest of the steering and front suspension is tight.

5 minutes and a jack can tell you a lot about your front end. IE: worn ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, center link, idler bushings, sway bar bushings and you can take a peek at the LCA/UCA bushings.

Don't for get the front and rear Guide Rod Mounts. The rears usually go before the front and they will cause loose steering. The car will want to wander but subtly. You want to check the GRM's with the car on the ground or only partially jacked. I just went through all of this. Most of my steering components were replaced and very tight. I could not figure out why the steering was a little loose. After some pulling and yanking on the front tires I could see the Guide Rod moving back and forth (in and out) of the rear mount. They were completely shot.

If you find that most of your steering components are good, have someone get in the car and rock the wheel back and forth while you watch the steering linkage from under the car. Look carefully at all the tie rod ends and especially the idler arm. If the idler arm is moving up and down this is a problem.

It should be fairly obvious once you start lookng.
is it fair to say that ANY movement in the GRMs classifies them as 'shot'?