View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM
All-seeing, all-knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver View Post
The idealism of the old series. The sense of true community. The female Viper pilots. Think about it: They were under martial law, and no one noticed, or cared.

The new series, which I admit I never gave a fair audience since the only episodes I watched were the first one, Razor, and the last two, was too belligerent,dark, mean spirited and soulless. The original made me want to join the crew. The remake made me want to change channels.

DISCLAIMER: When the original series came out I was 14, very open minded and idealistic. When the remake was done, I was old and cynical, which could be skewing my perceptions.
Of COURSE the new series was "dark"!

If 12 entire planets full of humans had been reduced to a few thousand survivors, and they were trapped out in space in metal cans, frantically on the run from a relentless and murderous enemy, things would be QUITE dark! In reality, knowing what I know about human nature, things would probably deteriorate into conditions and chaos far WORSE than those depicted on the show!....

My opinion is that the new BSG was one of the best written, best directed television shows ever, if not THE best. Brilliant concepts, brilliant story lines, stellar character development, multi-multi-multi-layered plots, believable scenarios, attention to detail, well-done special effects..... In fact, for several years it has been pretty much the ONLY show on television that I can even stand to watch. Otherwise I stick to late-night Discovery Channel, History Channel, TLC, etc...

I'm a self-admitted sci-fi dork, but even beyond that, it was just SUCH a well-done series. It was even well-ACTED for the most part, which NEVER happens in science fiction! (William Shatner, anyone?.... hahaha)

I think it was a masterpiece all around, destined to live on amongst the classics of sci-fi. I'm bummed that it's over, but I'm also glad they didn't beat it to death for season after season, draining the magic from it. I own it all on DVD, and I'm sure I'll watch it many times over.

Mike
_____
1982 300D-gone---sold to a buddy
_____
1985 300TD
270,000 miles
_____
1994 E320
not my favorite, but the wife wanted it

www.myspace.com/mikemover
www.myspace.com/openskystudio
www.myspace.com/speedxband