Thread: Shock Absorbers
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 03:44 AM

Shock Absorbers

Gentlemen,

I need some advice.

For the first 56 years of my life I had never owned a new car. So, I am used to making "value judgments" on old cars. Unfortunately, I fell in love with my 85 SD so I am not certain that I am seeing things with the steely eye necessary to maintain a "beater's" financial viability. I have (with wrenches and curse words) replaced the A/C condenser, glow plugs, idler arm, seat cushions, A/C control unit, adjusted the valves and changed the rims. So, in fairness, I am not a ribbon clerk.

I need shocks and shims for the rear springs. The baby whale kind of floats at xway speeds. Bilsteins, I know, and I am leaning towards HD. So, at a parts wholesaler I can get the shocks for about $70-$85 each. But, I have no access to a hoist, and I don't think I can jack it up high enough to safely get the bastardos out.

I found a professional who inspires confidence (trust me on this) but here is the rub; the Bilsteins (4) will be about $70-$100 more and the installation will require 3.5 hours. If he charges $80 an hour, the whole shootin match will set me back $750 without the rear spring shims. I am not made of money but I can afford this.

I wouldn't even consider it but when I adjusted the valves I was astonished to find the valve train (231K miles) in excellent condition. The frame has no rust but the body is not cherry. This belcher, with moderate kindness, has some motorin' left.

Some of our experienced Forum members probably view my conundrum as a panty waist vacillation. Admitedly, shocks are definitely a DIY job. I can't remember the last time I had profesionals change shocks on any of my cars. But, alas, I am old now and am unwilling to do the job without a hoist.

The pro will install my parts but the savings is objectively small, and he will then warranty the installation only.

I bought the car for $2750 2yrs ago. Is this nuts?

Thank You,
Joe Marroso